Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1

Antrim 0-15 1-18 Kilkenny

Round 1
Corrigan Park, Belfast
Chris Mooney
Allianz HL D1: Kilkenny earn victory
Paddy Burke, Antrim, and Martin Keoghan, Kilkenny, in Allianz Hurling League action at Corrigan Park. Photo by Ramsey Cardy/Sportsfile

Allianz HL D1: Kilkenny earn victory

Allianz Hurling League Division One Group B

Kilkenny 1-18 Antrim 0-15

By David Mohan at Corrigan Park

Derek Lyng's first Allianz League game in charge of Kilkenny yielded two points as they came through difficult conditions and a stern Antrim challenge at Corrigan Park on Saturday.

Having stepped into the role following the retirement of Brian Cody after 24 seasons, there would have been a little pressure on the six-time All-Ireland winner to avoid slipping up in his first full game in charge. So Lyng will be happy with how his players delivered.

There were some noticeable aspects to the Kilkenny approach with a crisp, short-passing game utilised well, but when the win and rain made life difficult for both teams in the second period, it was digging in and using their physicality that came to the fore as they fended off the hosts, who were just two behind with five to go.

Billy Drennan top-scored with 1-8 for the Cats and his goal midway through the opening half would prove vital as it gave the Noresiders a cushion they managed to defend and tagged on late points to put a bit of a gloss on their trip to Belfast.

It was a fairly even start with the sides locked at 0-3 apiece 10 minutes in, but Kilkenny were looking that bit more menacing in attack despite a swirling wind in their faces.

Antrim goalkeeper Ryan Elliott made smart stops from Martin Keoghan and Cian Kenny, but could do nothing on 14 minutes as Walter Walsh rose above Joe Maskey to fetch and popped to Drennan who burst through on the overlap and buried to the net.

The hosts were struggling to get going in attack but did put some decent phases together with Conal Bohill and Niall McKenna finishing good moves, while Cunning tapped over the frees, but Kilkenny were that bit more fluid and led 1-10 to 0-9 at the half with Drennan knocking over the frees, while Walsh and Martin Keoghan found their range.

Conditions deteriorated at the break with rain pouring and wind swirling, yet Kilkenny made a decent start with a pair of Drennan scores cancelling out an early Cunning free.

Antrim then began to enjoy a good spell but would manage just three points as the wind began to play havoc with shots.

They got to within two on a couple of occasions and that was the main with five to play, but Kilkenny just managed to find the answers and they finished well with Keoghan (two), Drennan and Billy Ryan sealing the win.

Scorers for Kilkenny: B Drenna 1-8 (7fs), M Keoghan 0-3, P Cody 0-2, P Deegan, J Donnelly, W Walsh, B Ryan, and A Tallis (f) 0-1 each.

Scorers for Antrim: C Cunning 0-8 (8fs), N McKenna 0-2, P Burke, C Bohill, K Molloy, J McNaughton, and N McManus 0-1 each.

Kilkenny: A Tallis; M Butler, H Lawlor, N Rowe; C Buckley, P Walsh, D Blanchfield; P Deegan, J Donnelly; W Walsh, C Kenny, P Cody; B Drennan, M Keoghan, B Ryan.

Subs: S Murphy for P Cody (HT), T Phelan for C Kenny (63), A Murphy for W Walsh (68), G Dunne for J Donnelly (70+4)

Antrim: R Elliott; P Burke, R McGarry, N O'Connor; G Walsh, E Campbell, C Bohill; M Bradley, J Maskey; N McKenna, K Molloy, J McNaughton; C Cunning, N McManus, E O'Neill.

Subs: P Duffin for N O'Connor (HT), S Elliott for E O'Neill (HT), C Johnston for J Maskey (43), P Boyle for K Molloy (65).

Referee: Chris Mooney (Dublin).