Mary I manager Jamie Wall.
Mary I manager Jamie Wall.

Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup round-up

Electric Ireland HE GAA Fitzgibbon Cup

IT Carlow 1-16 GMIT 1-13

Maynooth University 1-12 DCU 1-20

Mary Immaculate 4-24 LIT 1-19

University of Limerick 3-21 Trinity College Dublin 0-13

Waterford IT 4-22 TU Dublin 0-12

UCC 0-22 CIT 0-14

UL got their Fitzgibbon Cup campaign up and running with a big 3-21 to 0-13 win over Trinity College Dublin at the UL Grounds.

Gary Kirby’s outfit, who won the competition in 2018, lost out to a fancied DCU in the opening round but bounced back emphatically on their home patch.

They laid the foundations for victory in the first half when they raced into an unassailable 3-13 to 0-6 half-time lead.

DCU secured back-to-back victories in Group A, with a comfortable 1-20 to 1-12 win against Maynooth University on their north campus.

A strong start from DCU had them into a 0-5 to 0-3 lead by the midway point of the first half, and despite a Maynooth goal, the Dublin college still led by 0-10 to 1-3 at the break. But DCU made sure of the win afterwards and eased their way to an eight-point victory.

Gary Cooney’s opener put Mary Immaculate College on their way to the quarter-finals with a massive 4-24 to 1-19 success.

He cracked a goal after just 10 minutes, and when Cork senior Tim O’Mahony followed with a second four minutes later Mary I appeared to have done the hard work with a 2-13 to 0-7 half-time lead.

A Ross Bonnar goal got LIT back into contention ten minutes after the restart, but there was no stopping Mary I who claimed their second win while Cooney struck a second goal in the closing stages.

Waterford IT were the other winners in Group B, and they made it two wins from two, with a 4-22 to 0-12 success.

The Waterford college were bright from the start and after Ciaran Kirwan hit a goal they were deserving 1-12 to 0-7 leaders at half-time against TU Dublin.

Kirwan slotted the second goal too and WIT were 2-17 to 0-10 in front with 15 minutes remaining. Eddie Meaney scored the third Waterford goal and Conal Flood finished things off.

In Group C, reigning champions UCC claimed top spot in their pool after this 0-22 to 0-15, victory over CIT at Mardyke.

UCC built their lead before the break and they took a 0-15 to 0-6 advantage into the second half, CIT couldn’t reel them in afterwards.

The first game of the weekend took place at IT Carlow on Friday night, where the hosts were 1-16 to 1-13 winners against GMIT.

The Galway college scored the first point but four points in a row from IT Carlow, including two from Seamus Casey put them in control.

Wexford’s Cathal Dunbar rattled the vital score of the game just before half-time to put IT Carlow 1-8 to 0-5 clear, and although Enda Egan hit back with a GMIT goal before the break, Enda Rowland’s long range free took IT Carlow over the line.