Jack Prendergast, WIT, and James Bergin, DCU, in Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup action.
Jack Prendergast, WIT, and James Bergin, DCU, in Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup action.

IT Carlow and DCU Dóchas Éireann advance in Fitzgibbon Cup

Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup Quarter-Finals

IT Carlow 5-21 NUIG 0-28 (AET)

DCU Dóchas Éireann 1-23 WIT 2-14

Reigning champions UCC will face DCU while last year’s beaten finalists Mary Immaculate College take on IT Carlow in the semi-finals of the Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup.

There was a thriller at IT Carlow where visitors NUIG fought back following the concession of two early goals, but were eventually denied after extra-time, on a 5-21 to 0-28 scoreline.

The IT Carlow footballers lost out to DCU in the Sigerson Cup final at the DCU Sportsgrounds on Wednesday night.

But the hurlers hit their stride early and took a 2-9 to 0-9 lead into half-time. Borris-Ileigh forward Jerry Kelly was set up by Chris Nolan for their first goal and Seamus Casey tagged on a second for a nine-point lead after just 11 minutes of action.

The 2010 champions never gave up, and stuck with their hosts for the rest of the half. NUIG continued to pile on the pressure and forced extra-time when the sides finished 3-13 to 0-22 after the hour elapsed. 

IT Carlow held their heads, though, and despite having never won this competition, they showed a ruthless streak to take a 5-17 to 0-26 lead into half-time in extra-time.

There would be no spirited comeback, and instead IT Carlow advanced to their semi-final with Mary Immaculate College. It will be a repeat of the 2017 decider on 8 February at the DCU Sportsgrounds. 

The other semi-final will see UCC going to DCU on Saturday week, and looking to defend their crown against the winners of the football equivalent.

DCU had a comfortable 1-23 to 2-14 victory over WIT at the DCU Sportsgrounds.

The home side held a 0-14 to 1-5 lead at half-time. WIT goalkeeper Billy Nolan blasted a penalty to the net in the 18th minute and the sides were level at that stage. 

But WIT only hit the target once more in the first half, with Brian Ryan landing a couple of points and Rory O’Connor rounding off the first half scoring up the other end.

The Waterford college were back within two, nine minutes after half-time, but then DCU took over again and Jim Ryan delivered the decisive blow when he kicked to the net in 53rd minute.