Smoke-Free GAA Clubs
The GAA are encouraging all clubs to become smoke- free which means no smoking on the entire club grounds, including E Cigarettes. The GAA is the heart beat of every community and we believe that this type of initiative will not only raise awareness but also protect people from second hand smoke, reduce smoking initiation rates among young people and increase the amount of people seeking help to quit.
The government have announced that Ireland will be completely smoke- free by 2025 and the GAA are becoming leaders in the sporting sector. Already 60% of Healthy Clubs have taken the leap and gone completely smoke free, setting a positive example for all our members.
What are the benefits for your club?
By going smoke free your club is helping to create an awareness about GAA clubs being hubs for healthy living
• Setting a positive example
• Break the cycle of children learning the habit through adults/role models
• Protect your members, volunteers & visitors from the dangers of first and second-hand smoke exposure
• Reduce the impact of tobacco, vape and other harmful chemicals on sports performance
• Create a safer GAA grounds atmosphere for everyone involved, especially children
• Minimise tobacco and electronic cigarette related litter
• Potential coverage in local media -We would recommend that clubs have a launch to announce the tobacco- free initiative and invite media along.
If your club is interested please review the downloads on this page, discuss with your Club Executive and contact Aoife O’Brien for smoke- free signage templates firstname.lastname@example.org